The Hancock school district
dates back to 1863 but because of a fire in 1869,
records about this period are sketchy. The first school
was a typical one-room structure furnished with hard
wooden benches and heated by a round shaped wood stove.
In 1869, a union school was
constructed on Franklin Street. The building was used
until replaced in 1875. This building was destroyed by
fire on July 25, 1922, and was succeeded by the present
building currently owned by Finlandia University and
formerly the Hancock Middle School, which was built in
Three additional school
buildings were utilized during much of the 1900's;
Edward Ryan, E.L. Wright and the Ripley School. Condon
Field was dedicated in 1952, and the district's bus
garage was acquired from the City of Hancock in 1963.
Seventeen acres of land located east of Elevation Street
was acquired from the Quincy Mining Co. as a grant in
1970. In 1988, the Hancock voters passed a 7.46 mil bond
issue to build a $5,750,000.00 elementary school. In
1989 the building was opened for use.
At-A-Glance Calendar for the Week of June 18, 2018